Deploying Google’s Gmail to my newly formed internet marketing company has enabled minimal and secure IT administration of my 8 websites (28+ email accounts). Supporting a mixed operating environment that includes Microsoft, Ubuntu and macOS, multiple browsers and Microsoft Office document file formats, Open Office is enabled and simplified by an in-the-cloud computing environment like Gmail.
So why should you consider cloud computing like Gmail for your business, especially for an SME (small medium sized business)?
In two words: security and compliance. Email security, web security, and message compliance are the underlying benefits for solid business reasons to deliver your email and office documents through Gmail.
Compliance with security and retention requirements
Whether your business consists of one person or thousands of people, you are faced with accounting, legal and regulatory requirements and standards that dictate an acceptable level of IT security and record keeping for all electronic files and emails. Gmail can help you stay compliant and gives you real business benefits by streamlining your document and email management. Deploying Gmail is just smart business. Some benefits include:
1) Organize and archive (Archive) Your email the way you want it.
Google uses labels to archive and organize your email. You can tag an email with multiple labels. For example, an email from your accountant with tax information might be labeled “Corporate Taxes”, “Accountant”, “IRS”, “Income Canada”. Gone is the limitation of only having to select one file folder to move an email to.
2) Keep email Conversations or threads that are linked together.
Emails on the same topic (subject) appear as cascading file folders and are kept together in your inbox or under the multiple archived labels you assign. No more searching for email trails or email threads on a specific topic. They are represented visually as a group of stacked binders.
3) A free unlimited storage repository for all your emails and messages forever!
At 7 gigabytes per Gmail user account and growing since August 2008, Gmail’s slogan is “You’ll never have to delete a message again.”
Takin’ care of business instead of computer or IT administration
By reducing the time you spend managing your computer storage, security, backup and recovery, you can spend more time building your business. Fully manage all your email accounts from one or two Gmail addresses. Once set up, Gmail provides this environment with little to manage.
4) No mail is downloaded or saved on your server, desktop, laptop or PDA. This eliminates any stress or management anxiety related to:
– Search for emails stored and scattered across multiple client devices – some emails on your PC, some on your laptop, some on your PDA
– Schedule backups of your emails, contact lists and documents
– Recovery (and loss) of emails and documents due to loss, failure or theft of client devices
– Expansion of storage capacity due to continued growth and retention of emails and documents
– Remote or mobile access to all your emails, attachments and documents
– Manage, consolidate and keep intact multiple email addresses and personalities
– Offsite backup of selected files for SOHO or small business
Document creation, management and easy online collaboration
5) Use Gmail online office suite to create, manage and store your business documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Read and write documents in Microsoft Office format as well as all open document variants. Safely Stored by Google, eliminate HDD file storage and backup. No more MS Office license fees to Microsoft.
6) Save pictures and images using Picasa Web Albums. Manage your pictures on your PC with FREE Picasa software – crop, adjust, special effects.
7) Online chat and messaging integrated, stored and managed like your email.
Reducing complex email security threats to your corporate data
8) Google once again has a very intelligent SPAM filter which checks every message content and therefore does not randomly blacklist the email address, only the specific email based on the content. No emails are downloaded to your PC or any Office application; therefore no wasted bandwidth or the risk of infected emails on your hard drive.
9) Google’s Anti-virus check is also performed outside of your computer. All attachments are checked for viruses on the Google server and immediately marked/moved as SPAM if infected. No infected e-mail ever reaches your computer’s hard drive.
Traditional server or computer based email systems download ALL of your email and pass it through a spam/antivirus filter on your computer. This is a waste of bandwidth usage (downloading spam email) and, worse, exposes you to the added risk of spam and virus-infected email getting closer to your data files on your computer hard drives?
So why should you seriously consider using Gmail for all your office needs?
– Complete office mobility – access your email, documents, pictures, chat from any browser
– Access anywhere, anytime from any browser
– No need to back up emails, office documents or contacts
– Conveniently manage multiple user profiles and email accounts in one place
– Includes anti-spam and anti-virus scanning outside of your PC, laptop or server
– Gmail Free Unlimited storage
– Next to No Mail Administration.
Gmail is the perfect mobile office utility for small, medium and large businesses. Gmail’s cloud computing environment allows you to focus on your business operations and growth. Implementing the Gmail in-the-cloud computing model for your email security and compliance makes a lot of sense.
Cheer up in the clouds!